Recently, Forbes published an article named “Why I Hate Travel Agencies” by Larry Magid (Click Here to read the original article). Travel Agencies have been getting a lot of flack over the years in regards to their services. Are they necessary? Are they cheating me of my travel budget? Like any business, they have areas where they need to improve order to get the proper level of customer satisfaction but, like a lot of business in the travel industry, there is a good reason they are still alive and kicking. It’s because a lot of times they are necessary and they are affordable.
In business travel, companies can set pricing guidelines as well as standards for travel arrangements when they choose to host guests and business travelers. This ensures not only a standard in quality for arrangements, but that the company is not paying for unnecessary accommodations. Travel agencies that are given strict guidelines, are the company’s best bet when it comes to making the arrangements for their guests and business travelers.
It is the company’s duty to make sure the guidelines that are set are comfortable for the traveler. Often times the travel agencies are going to have to adhere to guidelines they wouldn’t’ normally set for themselves. It limits travel agencies in their ability to search, given the providers they are mandated to use.
The article “Why I Hate Travel Agencies” has valid points but is a little misdirected. The points leave room for further detail and outline a clear miscommunication and attempt at micromanaging a travel agency’s spending for the sake of their own budget. It should instead be “Why I Hate When Companies Force Me to Use Their Travel Agencies Under Their Strict Guidelines.” Do you think his article is misdirected? Tweet your feedback @TravelSafeIns
For a more positive view from a business traveler who absolutely adores travel agents click here. This is much more our style and probably yours, too.
Are you concerned about safety on your next vacation? Wondering what you can do to prevent theft? While most hotels are safe and secure, it is important to be mindful of your surroundings and take the proper steps to protect yourself.
Here are 6 quick tips to keep you safe before and during your holiday travels:
1. Do your homework before you book your hotel room. You want to make sure your hotel is located in a safe area and takes the proper security measures. In addition to looking at rates and amenities, it’s important to ask key questions. For example, is the hotel in an upscale neighborhood or business district? Is there a police station nearby? Do they have a doorman or security guard? Is their front desk staffed 24 hours a day? These are questions that hotel should be happy to answer.
2. Don’t take a room on the ground floor. These rooms are more likely to be burglarized. This is especially important if the doors and windows of the room are open to the outside.
3. Keep your door locked at all time. This may sound like a “gimme”, but stay diligent about locking the door behind you. It’s also important to lock the deadbolt.
4. When entering or leaving the hotel at night, make sure to use the front entrance. The front entrance is usually the most well-lit and usually under surveillance.
5. Don’t leave valuables in your car. If you must leave items in your car, cover them with a blanket or put them in your trunk.
6. Include travel insurance in your vacations plans. Unfortunately, we can’t predict the future. We don’t know whether our flight will be delayed or if we need to seek medical attention while traveling. Travel insurance can provide protection if your belongings are lost, damaged or stolen. To find out everything that travel insurance covers, click here.
Tell us, what steps do you take to stay safe while traveling? Leave a comment below, write on our Facebook page or Tweet us to share your suggestions with other travelers.
Do you have an international trip coming up? Are you wondering what you can do to stay safe and follow the cultural norms of the country you’re visiting? Follow these tips to make sure your trip is enjoyable and safe.
1. Stay on a well-lit path. Avoid shortcuts when walking in a new city – especially at night. Stay safe by staying on the main streets and ones that are well-lit.
2. Email a copy of your itinerary. Send a copy of all your travel documents – flights, hotel information, and a copy of your passport to a trusted person at home. This way, they will know exactly where you are and will have a copy in case you need it. In addition, send a quick email when you arrive in your destinations so that they know you made it safely.
3. Do your homework. It is important to learn about your destination. Learn about the general culture, rules, laws and people to avoid any faux pas or legal trouble. It is also smart to familiarize yourself with any current safety concerns. The U.S. Department of State’s list of current travel warnings is a great resource to do just that.
4. Keep your friends close and money closer. It can be tempting, but don’t split up from your friends while abroad. It’s also important to keep your money close to you – either in a hidden arm wallet or something that can not easily be pulled out of a purse or backpack.
5. Protect yourself, your belongings and your travel arrangements with travel insurance. Your health insurance may provide no or little coverage once you leave the United States. If you or your travel companions have any medical issues, you want to make sure you are covered. Medical Emergency Evacuation is also important when traveling abroad. Should you or your travel companions need to be flown back to the United States for medical attention, you do not want that cost to be your responsibility. Let travel insurance take care of that.
Tell us – what’s the best tip you’ve ever gotten for staying safe while traveling abroad? Leave a comment with your tip below.
Fall is just around the corner and that means it’s time to start thinking about your travel plans for the upcoming months. Whether you’re taking a cruise, traveling abroad or staying closer to home, these travel tips will help make your trip a success:
Check the weather. Fall is a wonderful but fickle season. Weather during the fall can be unpredictable, so make sure to do your homework and be prepared by packing the right clothes. Packing layers is always a safe way to go. Don’t forget to include travel insurance so you can protect your vacation investment against unforeseen weather events, too.
Bring along the right shoes. If there’s rain in your forecast, make sure to bring along waterproof shoes. No matter what your forecast says, don’t forget comfortable shoes.
Wander around and relax. This is good advice in any season, but especially in the fall when the leaves have changed colors and there’s plenty of brisk air to be enjoyed. Find a local park or nice trail where you can enjoy the beauty of the city you’re visiting.
Tell us, what’s the best fall travel tip you’ve been told? Leave a comment below, reach out to us on Facebook or Tweet us. We can’t wait to hear your tips!
Time is an important factor when purchasing travel insurance. We recommend purchasing travel insurance at the time you book your trip or soon after. This is important because travel insurance policies include time-sensitive provisions which can broaden your coverage if you purchase the insurance in a timely matter.
In fact, if you purchase travel insurance within 21 days of the date you make the initial payment for your trip, your coverage will provide coverage for bankruptcy or insolvency of your travel supplier, include the waiving of the Pre-Existing Conditions Exclusion, and allows you to qualify for the Cancel for Any Reason Benefit if it is included in your plan.
Remember, purchasing your travel insurance within 21 days of booking your trip will allow you to receive broader coverage at the same price if you purchase with final payment.
If you have any questions about these time-sensitive provisions or travel insurance in general, we can help. Leave a comment with your question below, Tweet us, write on our Facebook timeline or call us at 888-885-7233.
The Ebola outbreak According to the CDC, there have been a total of 1848 suspect and confirmed cases of Ebola virus disease (EVD) and 1013 deaths, as of August 9, 2014.
If you are concerned about the Ebola outbreak affecting your next vacation, travel insurance can help. Our travel insurance plans provide coverage if you or your travel partner contract the Ebola virus before or during your travel. Coverage includes emergency medical treatment, medical evacuation and protection against quarantine. In fact, our policies do not include exclusions for epidemics or pandemics.
In addition, if you would like to cancel your trip due to a fear of contracting the virus, please consider purchasing our Classic Plus plan with Cancel For Any Reason coverage.
If you have any questions about travel insurance and how it can provide coverage for you, your travel plans and investment, call us at 1-800-555-9095 or email us at email@example.com. We look forward to speaking with you.
Are you planning an eco-friendly trip? Do you want to reduce your carbon footprint while you explore the world? Here are tips to help you do that while enjoying your vacation:
Turn it off! If you will be gone for more than a few days, turn off your air conditioner and outdoor water supply. This can prevent possible flooding and unnecessary electricity usage.
Grab a bike or take a hike. While you’re on vacation, consider taking Earth-friendly transportation options like biking, walking or taking public transit. Another plus? These transportation options will be cheaper than taking a taxi or renting a car.
Recycle. Ask your hotel about their recycling policy. If the hotel recycles, make sure to sort your trash accordingly. If you typically use plastic water bottles, consider taking a reusable bottle with you on vacation to use as you travel.
Reuse your towels. Hotel hospitality is a great perk when traveling, but if you can reuse your towels or linens for a couple of days, it will save a lot of water and energy by saving on washing and drying time.
Tell us – what do you do to stay green while traveling? Leave a tip with your comment below. We can’t wait to hear your tips!
1. Travel to multiple destinations | A big advantage to cruising is being able to see multiple destinations in one trip. For example, if you take a Caribbean cruise, you could visit Antigua, Belize, the Bahamas and Puerto Rico all in one cruise.
2. No planning required | When you take a cruise, your destinations are already picked for you! Make sure to use a travel agent, too, so you get the best deal and have all the important inside information.
3. All-you-can-eat food | Buffet, anyone? Most cruises have food available at all hours of the day and it is included in your ticket price.
4. Variety of activities | Whether you’re looking for your next adventure, interested in exploring the port city, or you just want to relax on the beach, cruise lines offer excursions that can meet traveler’s needs.
5. Easy to find a cruise that fits your budget | With cruises lasting from 3 days to 2 weeks, cruises that offer luxury at every corner to cruises that are more budget-friendly, you can find a cruise that fits your budget.
If you decide to take a cruise for your next vacation and you have questions about protecting your financial investment, we’re here to help. Did you knowtravel insurance can provide coverage if you are delayed, your luggage is lost or you fall ill while on vacation? Call us at 888-885-7233, reach out to us on Facebook or Tweet us. We can’t wait to hear about your upcoming cruise!
Planning your honeymoon can be just as stressful as planning your wedding. You have to decide if you and your partner want to relax on the beach, explore a new city or both. Do you want to go abroad or vacation in the States? How many days will you travel? Answering these questions will help you and yours plan the perfect honeymoon. We’ve got the top destinations for your honeymoon. Help contribute your vote for the best honeymoon spot by leaving a comment below, writing on our Facebook timeline or tweeting us.
Maui is one of the top honeymoon destinations because the wide range of activities available. Whether you’re interested in relaxing at a world-class spa, dining at great restaurants, hiking or spending your days at the beach, Maui offers it all.
Florence is an amazing city for a European honeymoon. You can see some of the world’s finest architecture and art after enjoying unbeatable pasta and gelato. Don’t forget to stop by the Galleria dell’ Accademia, too.
San Diego offers beaches and a city to explore. With warm weather and endless outdoor activities, San Diego is the perfect place for you and yours to escape for a week.
New York City is the perfect honeymoon destination for a couple who enjoy fast-paced vacations.The city that never sleeps always something going on. If you’re interested in seeing a captivating play, indulging in great food and drinks or enjoying the hustle and bustle of the city, while being able to escape to Central Park, New York City is the perfect choice for you.