How Baggage and Personal Effects Pays
You can be covered up to $2,500, depending on which TravelSafe plan you choose, for your lost, stolen, or damaged items. Benefits will not be paid for any expenses which have been reimbursed or for any services which have been provided by the Common Carrier, hotel or Travel Supplier.
You will be paid one of the following ways (the least expensive of the following amounts will be chosen):
- The Actual Cash Value at the time of loss, theft or damage, except as provided below;
- The cost to repair or replace the article with material of a like kind of quality, or
- $300 per article
It is especially important to read your plan documents. Read the exclusions to understand what will disqualify travelers from Baggage and Personal Effects coverage.
Reasons for Baggage and Personal Effects
You could have checked your baggage with an airline, cruise line, or hotel only to find it was later stolen. In this case, a written police report or notice from the party responsible for your personal items would qualify you for coverage.
What You Need to Do
In case of loss, theft, and/or damage of baggage or personal effects you have to do the following:
- Take all reasonable steps to protect, save or recover the property
- Promptly notify, in writing, either the police, hotel proprietors, ship lines, airlines, railroad, bus, airport or other station authorities, tour operators or group leaders, or any common carrier or bailee who has custody of your property at the time of loss.
- Produce records needed to verify the claim and its amount, and permit copies be made.
- Send proof of loss as soon as reasonably possible after date of loss providing date, time, and cause of loss, and a complete list of damaged/lost items; and
- Allow us to examine baggage or personal effects, if requested.
These benefits do not duplicate any other benefits payable under the policy or any coverage attached to the policy.
Items Not Included in Baggage and Personal Effects are as follows:
- Automobiles and automobile equipment
- Boats or other vehicles or conveyances
- Bicycles, except when checked as baggage with common carrier
- Household effects and furnishings
- Antiques and collectors items
- Sunglasses, contact lenses, artificial teeth, dentures, dental bridges, retainers, or other orthodontic devices or hearing aids
- Artificial limbs or other prosthetic devices
- Prescription medications
- Keys, money, stamps and credit cards (except as other specifically covered herein)
- Securities, stamps, tickets and documents (except as coverage is other specifically provided herein)
- Sporting equipment if the loss results from the use thereof
- Telephones or PDA devices, computer hardware or software
Important Plan Information
Not all coverages apply to the TravelSafe Basic Plan.
Benefits in this website are described on a general basis only. There are certain restrictions, exclusions and limitations that apply to all coverages and services. This web page does not constitute or form any part of the Plan Document or any other contract of any kind. Plan benefits limits, and provisions may vary by state jurisdiction or may not be available in all states.
The Pre-Existing Condition exclusion is waived (under the Classic and Classic Plus Plans only) provided You have purchased the plan within 21 days of the date of your initial trip deposit and you are not disabled from travel at the time you purchase this your plan. It is important to read your plan documents to have a full understanding of the coverage available to you.
To review full plan details for each plan visit our plan documents page
. Any questions regarding TravelSafe Plans can be answered by calling 888-885-7233