How Trip Cancellation Works
When you have to cancel your trip for a reason covered by your travel insurance policy, your Trip Cancellation benefit will come into play. As a result, any prepaid travel payments that were not eligible for a refund will be reimbursed.
It is especially important to read your plan documents. Read the exclusions to understand what will disqualify travelers from Trip Cancellation benefits.
If you have pre-existing conditions and are looking for coverage, it is important to know how the waiver works. It’s a time-sensitive benefit, so purchasing your plan early on is important.
Here’s how the Pre-Existing Conditions Exclusion Waiver works:
- Available in the Classic and Classic Plus plan only.
- You have to purchase the plan within 21 days of your initial trip deposit.
- You have to be able to travel at the time you purchase the plan.
Reasons for Trip Cancellation
Illness or Death
Illness or death can happen without warning. It could be the reason you cancel your trip. Travel insurance can cover your trip cancellation for the following reasons:
- The death of a traveling companion, business partner, or yourself.
- A family member, traveling companion, or business partner’s covered sickness or injury prevents your participation in the trip.
- Family or friends living abroad can no longer provide accommodations due to life threatening illness, injury or death.
Terrorist attacks are constantly making media headlines. TravelSafe Insurance can cover trip cancellation for terrorist attacks in our plans.
- A terrorist incident occurs in a city on your itinerary.
- The attack must happen within 30 days of your scheduled departure date.
Atlantic hurricane season runs between June 1st and November 30th. The Pacific hurricanes season is even longer. If your destination under official hurricane warning issued by NOAA, you can cancel your trip. Having travel insurance during hurricane season can reimburse any non-refundable, prepaid travel expenses you might otherwise lose for cancelling your trip.
Here’s how it works:
- The hurricane warning is issued with 36 hours of your schedule departure date and time.
- The hurricane warning is official.
- It must be issued by NOAA.
- Coverage must be effective 14 days prior to the naming of the storm.
Your Home or Destination is Made Unlivable
What if a hurricane or forest fire make your home unlivable? Or a tsunami makes your hotel uninhabitable? Chances are you will want to cancel your vacation.
With TravelSafe, you’ll have coverage for the following:
- Losses occur within 30 days after the natural disaster makes your destination accommodations uninhabitable.
- Your place of residence is uninhabitable due to fire, flood, burglary or other natural disaster.
- You had coverage before the storm or natural disaster was named.
Cancel for Work
Looking for a new job? What is your vacation time was revoked? Your plan can cover trip cancellation for work reasons.
- Involuntary layoff or termination affecting you or a traveling companion. Employment must have been with the same company for at least 1 continuous year.
- You or a traveling companion are required to work. A written statement from official or unofficial HR is required.
- A permanent transfer of employment of 250 miles or more.
Theft of Passport or Visas
What if someone steals your passports or visas? With TravelSafe, you’ll have trip cancellation coverage. The theft must be documented with local and official authorities.
It has happened – a traffic accident on the way to the airport. If you or your traveling companion are directly involved in a traffic accident, you may need to cancel your trip.
- The accident must be substantiated by a police report.
- You or your traveling companion must be involved in the accident directly.
- You must be en route to your scheduled point of departure.
Cessation of Services
Airlines have been shut down for several reasons. If your airline has a cessation of services for 12 hours or more, you may be covered for trip cancellation.
Reasons could be:
- Unannounced strike
- Mechanical break down
- Inclement weather
Revocation of Military Leave
If your military leave is revoked, or you are reassigned due to war, you have coverage to cancel your trip.
- Your leave must have been previously granted.
- The revocation or reassignment must be official and in writing.
- The official notice is written by a supervisor or commanding officer of the branch of service.
Travel suppliers can go bankrupt without warning. Chances are they will only give you a partial refund, if at all. With travel insurance, you can cancel your trip should a travel supplier go bankrupt.
- The bankruptcy must occur 14 days or more following your plan’s effective date.
- Airlines only qualify if there is no alternate transportation available.
- Does not qualify if the travel agency you purchased travel arrangements from files for bankruptcy.
- You purchase your travel insurance plan within 21 days of your first trip deposit.
- You insure the full cost of your trip, including any penalties or restrictions.
A mandatory evacuation may occur at your destination. It could be because of things like natural disaster or extreme weather. If your destination is under mandatory evacuation, you will have to cancel your trip.
Here how it works:
- The evacuation is mandatory and ordered by local government authorities.
- It occurs at your trip destination.
- If a mandatory evacuation order is not issues, you receive official public evacuation notices or recommendations.
Extension of School Year
School closures happen. It can cause the school year to run a little late. If that’s the case, you may qualify for extension of school year.
- It occurs after your plan’s effective date.
- The extension of school year causes the class schedule to extend beyond the scheduled departure date of your trip.
- The cause is not due to extra-curricular or athletic events.
Crime to You or a Traveling Companion
Felonious assault of you or your traveling companion can be covered. If you or your traveling companion experience felonious assault within 10 days of your scheduled departure, you can cancel your trip.